This session will provide an overview of areas of active research related to seismic analysis of safety-related nuclear facilities. Topics include developments in soil-structure interaction and fluid-structure interaction, particularly for extreme ground motions, advances in seismic probabilistic risk assessment, and developments in seismic protective systems for nuclear structures.
Date: Thursday August 8, 2019
Time: 3:30 p.m. - 5:15 p.m.
Co-Chairs: George Abatt, Becht Nuclear Services & Andrew Whittaker, University of Buffalo
1. Introduction and Overview of ASCE 4 and 43
George Abatt, Becht Nuclear Services
2. Review of the Technical Underpinnings of ASCE 4 and 43 with Emphasis on the Legacy of Robert Kennedy
Brian McDonald, Exponent
3. Performance-based Evaluation of Nuclear Structures Subjected to Extreme Ground Motion
Ben Kosbab, SC Solutions
4. Seismic Probabilistic Risk Assessment of Nuclear Facilities Subjected to Beyond Design Basis Earthquakes
Mohamed Talaat, Simpson Gumpertz & Heger
5. Developments in the Application of Seismic Protective Systems to Nuclear Structures
Troy Morgan, Exponent